To e-book, or not to e-book, that is the question

As far as I remember, I’ve ever loved books. I even have some kind of a fascination for them. As a kid, I wanted to become a librarian. I spent a lot of time in libraries libraries when I was in “classes préparatoires”, especially in Beaubourg and the BNF (Bibliothèque Nationale Française François Mitterrand). I also love to go to second had books stores like Gibert Jeune and come back home with plenty of old classic books – treasures that had only cost me few euros. To me, books have an aura, they force your respect ! In a library, you feel so good and so impressed by all these knowledge receptacles.
Here is the dream I’ve ever had :



So you would have understood, books have all my respect and even more. But at the same I try to move with the times. Guess what I’ve been willing to have for few weeks ? An eBook ! They are so useful and handy ! Everywhere you go you have your journal and your favorite books, all in one thin screen. Plus, carrying books in my bag really spoil them.
I would never stop buying and reading books though. To me, it’s a question of time and place. Nothing can replace a nice afternoon reading in the shadow of a tree in a garden or a park. But in the subway for example, or at work, I would totally go for an eBook. I just hope this media won’t “eat” the books and be convergent. I must admit I’m a romantic !
However I think that unfortunately people have lost interest for reading, being all the time in front of a screen, so this is a good way to bring back culture under our square eyes.
If I had money of if Santa Clauss spoiled me, I would get an eBook soon !
When it comes to the one I would choose, if you had asked me last week, I would have told you I want an Amazon Kindle. But this week I want the brand new eBook by Barnes and Nobles ! This one is the most developed. It has an LCD touch-sensitive screen, and it has a double screen, of which on is in color ! The Nook is a little bit bigger than the Kindle, measuring 7.7 x 4.9 x 0.5 inches and weighs 11.2 ounces. WiFi (802.11b/g) and AT&T 3G is included, not to mention 2GB of internal storage, a microSD expansion slot, MP3 player, built-in mono speaker, 3.5 millimeter headphone jack, a micro USB port and support for EPUB, PDF and MP3. The nook also supports bookmarking, making notes, and highlighting passages, and the 'LendMe' feature allows users to lend books for up to a fortnight at a time to other e-readers, cellphones or computers. To know more about it, go here.
And you, would you buy a Kindle or a Nook ?


0 Responses

Post a Comment

  • About me

    Hi !
    I am a CELSA (School of Information and Communication) student and you've just arrived to my new blog.
    Here, I will talk about one of my passions : the mass media of communication.
    Don't hesitate to react to my posts and to give me your opinion.
    Enjoy your visit !

    Laetitia